Rumors, privacy etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumors, privacy etc.

Just a friendly reminder - I had to remove a post at the request of a school because of they said it contained inaccurate private information about a member of the college hockey community. Please stick to discussions about confirmed news. Thanks!

Re: Rumors, privacy etc.

Yeah, it was confirmed this morning by a 40-year friend of Coach Baldarotta.
    Last edited by HockeyFanAttic; 09-30-2009, 02:15 PM.

Comment

And Chris, here's what the response should have been, "I see nothing in the post that's inaccurate...Would you like to comment on the situation?"

THAT'S what a reporter does.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyFanAttic View Post
        And Chris, here's what the response should have been, "I see nothing in the post that's inaccurate...Would you like to comment on the situation?"

THAT'S what a reporter does.
        If you're referring to running a story based on unsubstantiated information and THEN expecting someone to come out to confirm, deny or elaborate, then no, that's not what a reporter does. That's what a hatchet man does. That's what a third-rate blogspot wanna-be "reporter" does.

A reporter gets his facts straight, then runs a story.
        UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
        2006 Time Person of the Year
        Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
        It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
          If you're referring to running a story based on unsubstantiated information and THEN expecting someone to come out to confirm, deny or elaborate, then no, that's not what a reporter does. That's what a hatchet man does. That's what a third-rate blogspot wanna-be "reporter" does.

A reporter gets his facts straight, then runs a story.
          Maybe I know something that you don't about who knows what Mike. Maybe I know that USCHO already knows the facts and is holding onto them for whatever reason. But that couldn't be right, could it? Nah, I've only known the man for 21 years.

Comment

Not sure about the specifics of the initial post, but it's not good. In fact, it sucks.
            Wormser - Rowdy Crowd
            2008-2009 D-II/III Last Person Standing Champion
            2004-2005 D-II/III Last Person Standing Co-Champion
            2007-2008 D-II/III Last Person Standing Runner Up
            "...maybe I should be surprised about this, but then again, we are the Rowdy Crowd - everyone wants a piece. We are awesome." ~XYZ

Comment

Originally posted by Wormser-PointRC View Post
              Not sure about the specifics of the initial post, but it's not good. In fact, it sucks.
              R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyFanAttic View Post
                Maybe I know something that you don't about who knows what Mike. Maybe I know that USCHO already knows the facts and is holding onto them for whatever reason. But that couldn't be right, could it? Nah, I've only known the man for 21 years.
                This is a college hockey board with posts. I don't get how Chris is supposed act like a reporter about something someone posted. If he was going to be writing a story that is different.

Comment

The only reliable source willing to go on the record says portions of the information leaked are not true. Based on that and on the level of personal information that would be disclosed, I made the decision to shut it down pending more accurate, on the record information.

Comment

Chris

That's nice, but it seems that the ONLY information on D-III comes from this message board, not the front page. It was on this board that we find out that coaches have been hired, championship venues have changed, and even the FINAL score of the D-III men's championship.

It seems that D-III is an afterthought, or at worst, the ignored step-child of USCHO. Honestly, I'd love to help, but I'm a good 8 hrs from the nearest MASCAC school and don't have the personal resources to give the MASCAC the coverage they deserve.
                    Last edited by joecct; 10-01-2009, 04:28 AM.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Chris

That's nice, but it seems that the ONLY information on D-III comes from this message board, not the front page. It was on this board that we find out that coaches have been hired, championship venues have changed, and even the FINAL score of the D-III men's championship.

It seems that D-III is an afterthought, or at worst, the ignored step-child of USCHO. Honestly, I'd love to help, but I'm a good 8 hrs from the nearest MASCAC school and don't have the personal resources to give the MASCAC the coverage they deserve.
                      I know your frustration about the lack of news, and I share it. We lost our best "reporter" when RIT, and by extension Chris, went Div I. However, the lack of information can't allow people to post rumors and unsubstantiated stories on this board. It's too easy here, as we all know, to hide behind an anonymous user name. We've also seen too many people come on here with an ax to grind. "I heard from someone close to the program" is not good enough. It's also way too easy for any of us to get it wrong. That's not fair to the school or any individuals that may be harmed. It may also open USCHO to litigation that could shut this site down - then where would we get any information at all?
                      Steve
                      Penn State Class of '95
                      Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Chris

I agree with the premise of the thread that rumors are bad, but as far as real news you are being more than fair with your assessment.
                        Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
                        2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
                        2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
                        Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

I disagree with the premise of the thread that rumors are bad. I have a journalism degree, and I understand that true journalism needs to be told, but this is a fan blog forum, and truthfully I think that all rules are off. If this were FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc., I believe that they would have to have their facts straight before breaking a story, but it isn't. I also have no problem with Chris editing what should be printed and what should not.
                          2005-6 ECAC E/NESCAC Last Person Standing Champion
                          2006-7 SUNYAC PICK 'EM Champion

OSWEGO STATE GREAT LAKERS
                          2006-7 DIII NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

www.greenesalehouse.com

Comment

Originally posted by jabber811 View Post
                            I disagree with the premise of the thread that rumors are bad. I have a journalism degree, and I understand that true journalism needs to be told, but this is a fan blog forum, and truthfully I think that all rules are off. If this were FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc., I believe that they would have to have their facts straight before breaking a story, but it isn't. I also have no problem with Chris editing what should be printed and what should not.
                            Can I follow in your footsteps of obtaining a journalism degree and just owning a bar instead?

How about I buy that gas station across the street from your place and open up my bar?
                            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

That would be fine with me. Anyone with a journalism degree knows that it doesn't pay **** and you work too many hours for no god**** reason.
                              2005-6 ECAC E/NESCAC Last Person Standing Champion
                              2006-7 SUNYAC PICK 'EM Champion

OSWEGO STATE GREAT LAKERS
                              2006-7 DIII NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

www.greenesalehouse.com

Comment

Working...
                              X