UW-Stout Regular Season -- 2009-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UW-Stout Regular Season -- 2009-10

This weekend is just what the Blue Devils needed. A couple of non-conference games to figure out lines, gain some chemistry and get their confidence up.

UW-Stout came out flat against St. Mary's University and didn't play up to their potential in that opening period. The score was 1-0 after one. After a heated speech from Head Coach Terry Watkins, the Blue Devils got the scoring going. Mike Morgan (G) saw action between the pipes in the 3rd period. Things looked much improved over the opening weekend against SNC, but still not 'last years form' by any means.

St. Thomas came in on Saturday for what I felt would be a tougher game than St. Mary's. UW-Stout has historically handled Mary's quite easily while St. Thomas has been a bit tougher.

St. Thomas was outgunned from the drop of the puck with the Blue Devils heeding the advice of coaches by shooting the puck from all angles on the ice. The rush looked much improved including hardly any off-sides on rushes towards the Tommie's zone. The Devil's took a 2-0 lead in the 1st period as they headed into the 1st intermission. They also headed in out-shooting the Tommies.

UW-Stout opened up its old form by literally scoring at will in the first half of the second period. Snipes from the blue lines, cleaning up the trash, 2-1's and Derek Hanson on a break away, one of those shorthanded. UW-Stout had five goals in the first 13 minutes of the 2nd period.

The third period was much of the same, UW-Stout purely dominated the Tommies coasting their way to a 8-0 win. All the small things, battles in the corners, face-offs added up and really contributed to the win. I heard after the game that the St. Thomas head coach, Terry Skrypek said he's never been beaten that bad in his collegiate coaching career, purely dominated in all areas of the game.

UW-Stout looks to have figured their team out this year. Many around the country wrote UW-Stout off with their series dropped to SNC. During that series UW-Stout was out of sync, no line chemistry developed yet and there was some issues with the breakout. Coach Watkins has these kids working now like a well-oiled wheel and that offensive firepower is starting to find scoring chances and lighting the lamp.

Strap in for what appears to be one exciting run this year now that UW-Stout has 'righted the ship'

Joel Gaulrapp's & the dangerous trio's 3rd period goal

******* width="500" height="405">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wDzmvbcD5kY&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wDzmvbcD5kY&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405">
    Last edited by BlueDevilRadio; 11-08-2009, 12:36 PM.
    WATCH Stout Blue Devil Hockey Live!

Stout Student Section: Devils' Advocates

NCHA Peters Cup Playoff Champions: 08-09
    NCHA Regular Season Championships: 06-08 (Shared)
    WIAC Championships: 10-11
    NCHA Runner-Up: 07-08
    NCAA National Tourney Appearances: 07-08, 08-09

Webmaster & Tech Guru - www.stouthockey.com - DIII Hockey's most popular fan site.

Comment

Should be a good series at CSS this weekend. With Poderzay back in net, the real key to the game is whether the Saints finish like they did against Stevens Point and Concordia or they don't like against the Johnnies.

If they do finish off scoring chances, it looks like it'll be very similar to the last 3 times these two teams faced off last year. If they don't, things are looking pretty good for Stout.

Comment

It was sure good to see Big Blue get back on track last weekend.

Michael, you are right that it will be an interesting weekend between Stout and CSS. What are your initial reactions to CSS's team this year? It seems like you guys have been a bit like us in that it has been a tale of two different weekends.

CSS is a well coached team that always comes to play. This is an important series for Stout and the first road action of the year. Let's hope the boys can pick up where they left off on Saturday.

We had a balanced scoring attack last weekend (8 goals from 8 different people on Sat night). It's nice to see more than the first line putting the puck in the net. That is critical for success this year.

Comment

I'll be making the trip up Saturday. Anyone else gonna make it?
          http://www.stouthockey.com

My College Experience:
          UW-Stout
          ^08-09 NCHA Peter's Cup Champions^
          ^08-09 NCAA National Tournament Appearance^

Comment

No video on the Scholastica game.... Only audio.
            http://www.stouthockey.com

My College Experience:
            UW-Stout
            ^08-09 NCHA Peter's Cup Champions^
            ^08-09 NCAA National Tournament Appearance^

Comment

Originally posted by LonelyStoutFan View Post
              It was sure good to see Big Blue get back on track last weekend.

Michael, you are right that it will be an interesting weekend between Stout and CSS. What are your initial reactions to CSS's team this year? It seems like you guys have been a bit like us in that it has been a tale of two different weekends.

CSS is a well coached team that always comes to play. This is an important series for Stout and the first road action of the year. Let's hope the boys can pick up where they left off on Saturday.

We had a balanced scoring attack last weekend (8 goals from 8 different people on Sat night). It's nice to see more than the first line putting the puck in the net. That is critical for success this year.
              I've only seen the Saints-Cobbers game this season, and I listened to the Stevens Point Saturday game. That means I haven't seen Poderzay in action, so no comment on him. From what I've gathered, the team has very good team defense (they lost something like one defender to graduation) and a solid 5 on 5 unit. Pk looked concerning, and the PP is sometimes there but mostly not. The players are talented and the new guys have been contributing a lot.

My concern for CSS is on special teams and whenever Zach Kleiman is in net. I was under the impression he was moved back to 3rd goalie after a weak performance against Concordia, so I'm surprised he played tonight, and especially surprised he didn't blow it in overtime. I wasn't at the game tonight, so I didn't get to see what was wrong with Poderzay. I've heard Moody has some netminding skills, too, so we'll have to see who gets the nod tomorrow.

Comment

Poderzay went down in the 2nd with what appeared to be a groin pull. You could tell he wasn't 100% the remainder of the 2nd. CSS then made the switch during intermission.

I think if Stout can stay 5v5 they should be okay. CSS was good on the PP.

7 am on a Saturday morning!?! Continnental breakfest, I can't quit you.

Webmaster & Tech Guru - www.stouthockey.com - DIII Hockey's most popular fan site.

Comment

Oh check Http://www.stouthockey.com for a post-game interview with senior and Duluth native Andy Sternberg. He scored 2G last night.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueDevilRadio View Post
                    Poderzay went down in the 2nd with what appeared to be a groin pull. You could tell he wasn't 100% the remainder of the 2nd. CSS then made the switch during intermission.

I think if Stout can stay 5v5 they should be okay. CSS was good on the PP.

7 am on a Saturday morning!?! Continnental breakfest, I can't quit you.
                    Okay that makes sense. If Kleiman gets the nod tonight, the Saints are in some trouble. Games with him in net are always closer than they should be. It's good to see they improved on the PP, but it also looks like the PK is still less than stellar.

Comment

Who is making the trip from point this weekend? Will the RC have a large showing?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        Okay that makes sense. If Kleiman gets the nod tonight, the Saints are in some trouble. Games with him in net are always closer than they should be. It's good to see they improved on the PP, but it also looks like the PK is still less than stellar.
                        I feel it is only fair to mention Kleiman played much better than I've ever seen him play at CSS (and I've seen every game he's played here). That being said, pretty even on the weekend. CSS may fade a little toward the end of the season with a lot of freshmen, but I'll be looking forward to the rematch in Menomonie.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz62 View Post
                          Who is making the trip from point this weekend? Will the RC have a large showing?
                          Still waiting on my answer or is the RC too scared to come to the Dunn Co.?

Comment

I think you got your answer.

Silence

Comment

In ten years I haven't seen more than 4-5 students from any school make a road trip for a regular season game. Stout-Falls and Superior-Scholastica are likely exceptions to this but I haven't been lucky enough to see either of those meet in the regular season...yet.

Playoff games are a completely different story. The most impressive of all might have been Bethel a few years ago when they made the NCAA's. Their turnout in Falls was insane and the number that made the 4+ hour trip to SNC for the quarters was equally as impressive. The Stout turnout in Superior last year was up there, but you didn't have the hundreds that Bethel did. More a numbers thing than anything.

Therefore, I wouldn't get your hopes up. I'd expect about the same turnout that the DA's had in Duluth last weekend...give or take the three.

Should be a very interesting series though. Stout 2-0-2 since dropping the two to SNC and Point needs some...points. Pointers are 1-7-0 in their last eight at DunnCo, but their backs are against the wall. Should be fun.

Plus you guys should be honored. My mother is coming in from California and I'm bringing her to the DunnCo on Saturday
                              Last edited by Matthew Webb; 11-20-2009, 01:06 AM.
                              “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
                              19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Webb View Post
                                Plus you guys should be honored. My mother is coming in from California and I'm bringing her to the DunnCo on Saturday
                                So we have 2 I'll make sure the ice is extra nice tomorrow night in honor of your mom.

Comment

Working...
                                X