Clear All

Re: SNC Regular Season 2009-10

Yeah, that's a helluva hire for SNC.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
      ....I just got more optimistic about the upcoming season.
      I didn't...
      Avalanche Hockey --- "No one beats us on a pond"

Comment

Originally posted by iDangledYourMom View Post
        I didn't...
        That's because you wouldn't have seen any more playing time if you had stayed than you did last year, which is zero. Deal with it.

Again, best of luck in Juniors. That's where you should have been last year too...

Comment

I guess it shouldn't be a surprise. Mazzoleni got paid by the Gamblers for last season ($100,000+), Tim played for him at UWSP, etc.

I think two of the issues Mazz had with the Gamblers - the very different player acquisition methodology and the age of the players (15-to-20 instead of 18-24) - are obviously non-factors at this level.

Despite the lack of success in the USHL, I doubt Mazz has forgotten everything that made him successful before that. And, it's still Tim's program, not his - and that's a difference, too.

Let's hope it works out!
          St. Norbert College Green Knights
          NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
          NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
          NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
          ---
          SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
            I guess it shouldn't be a surprise. Mazzoleni got paid by the Gamblers for last season ($100,000+), Tim played for him at UWSP, etc.

Despite the lack of success in the USHL, I doubt Mazz has forgotten everything that made him successful before that.

But Green Bay finished the 08-09 USHL season with the best overall record and lost to eventual playoff champion Indy in the semis?

Comment

But Green Bay finished the 08-09 USHL season with the best overall record and lost to eventual playoff champion Indy in the semis?
              I believe his last season as head coach of Green Bay was 07-08.
              “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
              19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Webb View Post
                I believe his last season as head coach of Green Bay was 07-08.
                Indeed, who was relieved of his duties with Green Bay in February 2008. Certainly Mark Mazzoleni would be an asset to nearly any DIII team, he did lead the Green Bay Gamblers' to a league-worst 13-41-6 record in 2007-08. Despite, 'being where he wanted to be', having received a multi-year deal in the range of $100,000 annually. His last season at Harvard, he took the preseason favorite in the ECAC, to a sixth place finish in the league, where they reached the NCAA Tournament on the strength of winning the ECAC Tournament title.

That said, he is still a good catch for SNC
                Larry Normandin
                SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                  Indeed, who was relieved of his duties with Green Bay in February 2008. Certainly Mark Mazzoleni would be an asset to nearly any DIII team, he did lead the Green Bay Gamblers' to a league-worst 13-41-6 record in 2007-08. Despite, 'being where he wanted to be', having received a multi-year deal in the range of $100,000 annually. His last season at Harvard, he took the preseason favorite in the ECAC, to a sixth place finish in the league, where they reached the NCAA Tournament on the strength of winning the ECAC Tournament title.

What exactly is your point here?
                  “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
                  19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Webb View Post
                    What exactly is your point here?
                    Clearly a talented coach, taking his NCAA teams to or over .500 in 7 out of 10 tries, but nevertheless, only 2 seasons above .600, I don't find him likely to be impressive beyond DIII hockey. But he is NOT someone to be sneezed at.
                    Last edited by norm1909; 10-10-2009, 12:09 PM.
                    Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Clearly a talented coach, taking his NCAA teams to or over .500 in 7 out of 10 tries, but nevertheless, only 2 seasons above .600, I don't find him likely to be impressive beyond DIII hockey. But he is NOT someone to be sneezed at.

For Miami (at the time) and Harvard that's pretty darn good.

2010-11 DIII Commitments
                      19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Thank you Mr. Negative!!!!
                        He enjoyed great success at the D-3 level...so I'm sure Tim will value his input at SNC. He's the first full time goalie coach, since Skudder left for Lawrence.
                        Hope to see a BIG improvement in net this season...should be interesting to observe what affect he has on our net minders...
                        SNC Men:
                        Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                        NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                        SNC Women:
                        O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
                          Thank you Mr. Negative!!!!
                          He enjoyed great success at the D-3 level...so I'm sure Tim will value his input at SNC. He's the first full time goalie coach, since Skudder left for Lawrence.
                          Hope to see a BIG improvement in net this season...should be interesting to observe what affect he has on our net minders...
                          I'm sorry, and your comment is fair, in that it does appear I was emphasizing only the negative aspects of his career, and that was not my intention. My intention was to provide a balance to the preceding posts. I sincerely believe him to be a very good coach, and likely one who could excel at the DIII level, but I doubt many of the top 10 DIII schools would prefer him to their existing coaches. I am certain he has the potential to significantly benefit SNC and likely any DIII program (and probably ANY hockey program) as in assistant – particularly among goaltenders. I also believe he has the potential as a head coach to take any DIII program to the championship level. That said, his record is what it is, and while I excerpted portions to make my point, I did insert the hyperlinks so that the articles/sources could and IMO should be read in their entirety (among which, the quote below can be found).

A quote from A.D. Bob Scalise as Mark left Harvard -
                          "This is a big loss for Harvard," said Scalise. "Looking back, one can see that he has really done an outstanding job with our hockey program, and I am really proud of what he has done here. His educational approach to coaching, hard work, and knowledge of the game has returned Harvard hockey to prominence both in the ECAC and on the national scene. We think the world of him here, but we understand that this is a great opportunity for him, not only professionally, but for his family as well."
                          Last edited by norm1909; 10-10-2009, 01:44 PM.
                          Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

That said, his record is what it is

True. 135-52-10 in six seasons with three national championships at the D3 level...

Comment

I think there are certainly some in the Green Bay-area hockey community who are soured on Mazz based only upon his experience with the Gamblers.

For whatever reasons - I mentioned two of my own observations, I'm sure others have they own - the Gamblers/USHL stint just did not work. He took a franchise that regularly contended for division titles at the least and, in terms of a W/L record, struggled mightily.

Yes, the Gamblers won the regular season title last year - and set a league record with a 50-point improvement from 07-08 to 08-09... and you can't have that kind of turnaround without scraping bottom - and Mazz was the coach for the first half of that.

The reason for the 'qualification' in the second paragraph is this: the Gamblers still moved a high number of players to D1 under Mazz. That is indeed one of the league's goals. Now, you can debate if it would have more or to better schools, but Mazz did have some success in that area.

There are those of us in town familiar with his record and achievements before the USHL, particularly when UWSP was thumping SNC in its formative varsity years. But those 3.5 USHL years are indeed a part of the consideration.
                              St. Norbert College Green Knights
                              NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                              NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                              NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                              ---
                              SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

True. 135-52-10 in six seasons with three national championships at the D3 level...
                                Exactly, and comparable to coach Bob Emery's first 6 years with the Cardinals when he went 136-43-12, with only 1 national championship, including losing the 1990 championship in a mini-game to Mark Mazzoleni - the only games I seen him coach - and that loss does not prejudice me, in fact it adds credence to his credentials in my eyes - but as noted, at the DIII level.
                                Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Working...
                                X