Do you use the library?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you use the library?

Public or academic. To check out books, media, take a nap, use the internet, online research, whatever. Just curious.
    Yes
    63.89%
    No, but I at least know where it is
    36.11%
    I have no idea where the library is
    0.00%

Re: Do you use the library?

I really enjoy the library. CD's, Books I want to read but not buy, just browsing the aisles and seeing something I may not have thought about and winding up with a real gem of a read.
    And free, to boot!

Comment

Go every week with my kid since he was 2 (he is now 13). Only way I can afford to keep us both in books. Hardly ever get to the stacks. Stick with the new book section downstairs- 1-2 books most weeks. L'il has slowed down but used to read up to 20 a week when he was littler.

Comment

Weird... I like to go to Borders and look at books for an hour or two... but I never go to the library.

I know... I'm pathetic
        Wisconsin Badgers: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006 NCAA Champs

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
          I really enjoy the library. CD's, Books I want to read but not buy, just browsing the aisles and seeing something I may not have thought about and winding up with a real gem of a read.
          And free, to boot!
          I like to browse too, and find things I may not have thought about - I have lists of books I want to read, but I walk around fiction, and certain non-fiction sections (like cooking and baseball) to look at all of them.

my library recently got self-checkout and it is the BEST THING EVER.

Comment

Considering I worked in libraries for thirty years, you'd think I'd use them more. I buy most of the books I read, usually at Borders, because I don't want to wait for them to become available and also for lending to friends. In the last couple of years since I retired I have started using the library network online to have books located and sent to my local town library for me. That is really a great service.
            "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

Originally posted by Carter View Post
              In the last couple of years since I retired I have started using the library network online to have books located and sent to my local town library for me. That is really a great service.
              I'm a big interlibrary loan fan too - especially when it can be done completely online. I just search the county catalog for my book, pick the library I want it sent to - and get an email when it arrives. My library's not that big, but the county network is, so I can get just about anything I want. Proved very handy in grad school, too - I got stuck with a book for a paper that wasn't located ANYWHERE in the area - would've had to buy it, but one of the other UW campuses had it, and let me have it for the entire semester.

I find it hard to convince myself to spend money on books, especially when I think about how many boxes of them I gave to our last rummage sale, and how many are still in my basement, unread.

I didn't really use the library for leisure (as an adult) until I started library school, maybe 4-5 years ago. It's easy to forget about it, if you don't visit often.
              Last edited by jen; 07-29-2009, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                I'm a big interlibrary loan fan too - especially when it can be done completely online. I just search the county catalog for my book, pick the library I want it sent to - and get an email when it arrives. My library's not that big, but the county network is, so I can get just about anything I want. Proved very handy in grad school, too - I got stuck with a book for a paper that wasn't located ANYWHERE in the area - would've had to buy it, but one of the other UW campuses had it, and let me have it for the entire semester.

I find it hard to convince myself to spend money on books, especially when I think about how many boxes of them I gave to our last rummage sale, and how many are still in my basement, unread.

I didn't really use the library for leisure (as an adult) until I started library school, maybe 4-5 years ago. It's easy to forget about it, if you don't visit often.
                I didn't know you went to library school. Why would I, I guess. Do you work as a librarian now, and if so, what kind of library employs you?
                "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

Originally posted by Carter View Post
                  I didn't know you went to library school. Why would I, I guess. Do you work as a librarian now, and if so, what kind of library employs you?
                  nope, I don't work at a library. Decided to keep my current job for now and use my degree for... volunteer work. Really enjoyed all the classes, though.

Comment

No, but I do use the liberry.

Considering the vast scope of the public libraries in Manhattan and Brooklyn, it's actually a bit silly that I don't use them more often, rather than buying books. I do use them on occasion though.
                    Cornell University Men's Hockey
                    NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                    Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Only if it's operated by Andy Dufresne.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                      -Blackadder
                      "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                      -Casablanca
                      "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

I too am a deep devotee of the online requst-and-fulfill service of the Minuteman network here in the Boston area. It's really the only government service I use with any regularity. Luckily it's one of the few they've gotten right.
                        Boston College Eagle Hockey ยป "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Working...
                        X