In comes Fraser! In comes Fraser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In comes Fraser! In comes Fraser

Simon Fraser University became the first institution outside the United States to enter the NCAA membership process after the Division II Membership Committee accepted the institution’s application during a July 7-9 meeting in Indianapolis.

Simon Fraser, located in Burnaby, British Columbia, will begin a two-year candidacy period September 1. Prospective members also must complete at least one year of provisional status before being accepted as full-time Division II members, meaning the Canadian institution could become an active Division II member by fall 2012.

The NCAA Executive Committee approved a 10-year pilot program in 2007 to allow the Association to explore the idea, and Division II delegates overwhelmingly approved legislation at the 2008 Convention to open the door to its northern neighbors.

“We’re excited about having Simon Fraser working toward joining a unique group of institutions that have strong values and are continuously striving to enhance what it means to be a Division II member,” said Division II Vice President Mike Racy.

Simon Fraser has explored potential membership in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference, composed primarily of members with which Simon Fraser already has established competitive rivalries. Conference members include Alaska Anchorage, Alaska Fairbanks, Central Washington, Montana State Billings, Northwest Nazarene, Saint Martin’s, Seattle Pacific, Western Oregon and Western Washington.

“No one would dispute that the highest level of intercollegiate sport in North America is played at the NCAA, and that’s where we want to be,” Athletics Director David Murphy told Champion magazine in January. “We’re a Division II fit in philosophy, with our emphasis on student-athlete balance, facilities and level of athletics competition.”

Simon Fraser was one of several institutions whose applications for Division II membership were selected this week. Others will be announced later Friday.
    Questions:
    If they're going to play ice hockey, where do they play? Can they move up to D-1 in hockey and leave everything else @ D2?

Do games against SFU count as exempt contests?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: In comes Fraser! In comes Fraser

I think there is still a moratorium on moving up, so they would have to remain in Division II. Therefore, the most likely option for now would be for them to play Division III competition until they are able to move up. I think they can move up in 2011, but I'm not certain on that.

Unless the NCAA does something different, I would think that games against Simon Fraser (assuming that they play D-III) would count against the 25-game limit, but would not be counted towards the regional rankings, similiar to what happened with Minnesota-Crookston here in the west, and other D-II schools out east.
    Last edited by Hammer; 07-10-2009, 01:21 PM.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

They don't have a varsity hockey program now....

Comment

Yet...
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

This thread might be a better place for my earlier post.
          Larry Normandin
          SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
          WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Have never had varsity hockey!

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
            They don't have a varsity hockey program now....

Comment

How much of a lure would it be for DII and DIII Canadian prospects to stay at home and get an education? I know it would be huge if Fraser was a scholorship level hockey program.

Comment

SFU will be a perfect fit in the GNAC. Congrats to them.
                UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                2006 Time Person of the Year
                Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
                  SFU will be a perfect fit in the GNAC. Congrats to them.
                  SFU used to play those schools at the time back in the day when they were all NAIA schools. From what I heard, it was a pretty good small school league back then. Its just problems started when the private schools in that league all left the NAIA and formed a D3 league and told the Publics to bugger off. And then they wonder why they couldn't find as many teams for everybody to play all close by.
                  bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

I believe the NCAA allows schools at the D2 level to play one men's and one women's sport at the D1 level. That's why UBC is also interested in joining the NCAA at the D2 level for all other sports - as long as hockey can play D1.

Comment

Originally posted by hkycoch View Post
                      I believe the NCAA allows schools at the D2 level to play one men's and one women's sport at the D1 level. That's why UBC is also interested in joining the NCAA at the D2 level for all other sports - as long as hockey can play D1.
                      Right, but as of right now, no D2 school could move just one sport like Hockey up a division. And from what I've heard, the NCAA is going to be coming up with a bunch of new regulations to keep schools that had no business in going from D2 to D1 like Savannah State and New Jersey Tech from moving up that are going to make it hard for any other D2 or D3 schools from moving a single sport like Hockey up to D1.
                      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

Comment

Guess the NCAA reads this (and the D-1) forum.......
                        Membership panel confirms policies for Canadian applicants

Jul 13, 2009 9:22:32 AM
                        By Gary Brown
                        The NCAA News

In addition to determining the status of institutions progressing through the membership process, the Division II Membership Committee approved a policy requiring Canadian institutions applying for Division II membership to follow NCAA rules in all varsity sports, even those for which an NCAA championship is not offered.

The issue pertains primarily to ice hockey, for which Division II does not offer a championship but which many Canadian institutions sponsor. Current NCAA legislation (Constitution 3.2.4.4) applies NCAA bylaws and other legislation to any sport the institution sponsors as “varsity.”

At least one Canadian school considering NCAA membership has asked whether its men’s ice hockey program would be subject to NCAA requirements even though there isn’t a Division II championship and there currently is no opportunity for a Canadian institution to sponsor a sport at the NCAA Division I level.

The Membership Committee reviewed the matter but eventually agreed that any sport classified as varsity must meet the rules and regulations of that division regardless of whether that sport has access to an NCAA championship.

The action became necessary when the Division II membership at the 2008 Convention facilitated NCAA membership from Canadian schools. Division II is the only division to have taken advantage of an NCAA Executive Committee-approved pilot program to consider four-year Canadian institutions as potential NCAA members.

Simon Fraser, located in Burnaby, British Columbia, officially applied for Division II membership this year and will enter year one of the candidacy period September 1. Simon Fraser does not sponsor ice hockey.

The Membership Committee also approved another matter pertaining to prospective Canadian members, which is when and under what circumstances Canadian institutions are required to convert their financial figures to United States dollars to confirm whether those institutions are complying with Title IX and EADA reporting requirements.

Committee members voted to require Canadian institutions to convert their expenditures from Canadian to United States dollars on May 1 (using the conversion rate published by the United States Treasury) for the purpose of reporting expenditures on their athletics teams.

In other action at the Membership Committee’s July 7-9 meeting, members:

•Noted that the deadline for applications from prospective member institutions will change over the next two years. The usual June 1 deadline will be in place for 2010 but will change to December 1 afterward. That allows for two deadlines in 2010 (June 1 and December 1), and the Membership Committee will review applications at its July 2010 and February 2011 meetings.

•Voted to require institutions in the membership process to file applications and annual reports electronically in addition to submitting a hard copy to the national office.

•Approved a request from Hawaii-Hilo to waive the two-year reclassification period for moving its baseball team from Division I to Division II.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                          SFU used to play those schools at the time back in the day when they were all NAIA schools. From what I heard, it was a pretty good small school league back then. Its just problems started when the private schools in that league all left the NAIA and formed a D3 league and told the Publics to bugger off. And then they wonder why they couldn't find as many teams for everybody to play all close by.
                          I'm a WWU grad (BA, '68) and remembered WWU playing SFU in FB ( ). I always wondered what happened to the Evergreen Conference.
                          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                            I'm a WWU grad (BA, '68) and remembered WWU playing SFU in FB ( ). I always wondered what happened to the Evergreen Conference.
                            In that case then, I should pass you along this link. Absolute screw job what Sheppard there did to the football team back in January.

http://www.savewwufootball.com/

It just happens.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                              In that case then, I should pass you along this link. Absolute screw job what Sheppard there did to the football team back in January.

http://www.savewwufootball.com/
                              Unfortunately, I was aware of this.

The one question I have had about WWU's affiliations has been why D2 when they left the NAIA? Why not DI like Eastern or DIII. DII has always seemed like a nowhere kind of status - not top flight athletics, but not academically oriented either. DII football is a tough sell to recruits. But I hate the loss of tradition
                              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Working...
                              X