Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Plattsburgh State Hockey - 2009/2010

Originally posted by LoudHorns31 View Post
    actually, twice would do it. as it sits, Plattsburgh has 13 while Oswego has 16. a loss to Plattsburgh would pull the Cards to within a point of Oswego. a tie against another team pulls them even and a loss puts Plattsburgh ahead, that is ofcourse if Plattsburgh wins out. should be an interesting second half of the season!
    I know twice would do it, but I was trying to make the statement that it is pivatol for Platty to win out, because if they stumble once, then Oswego would have have to stumble three times for Platty to still have a shot at the #1 seed.
    Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
    2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
      I know twice would do it, but I was trying to make the statement that it is pivatol for Platty to win out, because if they stumble once, then Oswego would have have to stumble three times for Platty to still have a shot at the #1 seed.
      Additionally, simply tying the Lakers in the standings would still give Oswego the #1 seed barring a hell of a performance from Plattsburgh at the Campus Center. The Cards would have to at least match the 3-goal spread the Lakers laid on them at Stafford, or Oswego would still hold the tiebreaker. Of course, if Plattsburgh were to win by exactly three goals, things would get really interesting, as at that point (if both teams decided to play things out against the possibility that Oswego would, indeed, pick up an additional tie), the tiebreaker would fall to total conference goal differential, essentially providing a valid excuse for the teams to try and run it up as much as possible against the rest of the SUNYAC.
      Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
      A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
      A Handful of ECAC West Championships
      A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
      Some National Championships:
      Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
      Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

For NCAA purposes, if Plattsburgh wants to be seeded hgher than Oswego, they're going to have to beat them twice. As it stands now, the cardinals would lose on win %, head to head, common opponents, and probably record against ranked opponents. Platty will probably win strength of schedule.

Two wins over Oswego would flip head to head and bring winning % very close. Otherwise Oswego probably locks up at worst the #3 seed in the east with another win over Plattsburgh.

Edit: assuming they hold serve against the rest of the suny competition.
        Last edited by one_to7; 01-19-2010, 10:57 PM.

Comment

I know I am new here, but based upon recent performances, shouldn't you be more worried about getting into the tournament instead of fantasizing about seedings???

Just askin'.....
          LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
            Shy of too many more injuries, Plattsburgh will host a semi-final SUNYAC game (along with someone else), and will host the NCAA Championship regardless of their own participation. The Oswego game on the 30th is going to be great, the injuries add a reason for the rest team to step-it-up. Can Plattsburgh continue to make Oswego their home-away-from-home? We will know come the 31st. With the SUNYAC autobid, regardless, it wont be over before SUNYAC's.
            Larry Normandin
            SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
            WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
              I know I am new here, but based upon recent performances, shouldn't you be more worried about getting into the tournament instead of fantasizing about seedings???

Just askin'.....
              Each of those recent performances makes a run at the autobid (and therefore the conference tourney), rather than reliance on a Pool C bid, more imperative. And as Norm said, Placid is Placid - the NCAA host is predetermined from the semifinals onward. With the SUNYAC seeding criteria far more concrete than that of the NCAA tourney, it's as good a subject to speculate on as any for the Cards.
              A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count

Comment

Originally posted by Dyce View Post
                ...the NCAA host is predetermined from the semifinals onward...
                Actually, the host is chosen among valid bids during the summer NCAA Division III Men’s Ice Hockey Committee meeting, the 2010 & 2011 sites were announced July 16, 2009. With the NCAA governing sport committee submiting their 2012 & 2013 final recommendations for approval in June 2010.
                Last edited by norm1909; 01-20-2010, 10:00 AM.
                Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                  Actually, the host is chosen among valid bids during the summer NCAA Division III Men’s Ice Hockey Committee meeting, the 2010 & 2011 sites were announced July 16, 2006. With the NCAA governing sport committee submiting their 2012 & 2013 final recommendations for approval in June 2010.
                  Sorry, I was talking in terms of team mentality this season, rather than the actual site selection process.

Comment

Originally posted by Dyce View Post
                    Sorry, I was talking in terms of team mentality this season, rather than the actual site selection process.
                    That's ok, it lead to me to these files:
                    2012 and 2013 Men's Ice Hockey - Sport Specific Information and Facility Questionnaire.
                    Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post

Just askin'.....
                      Trust me, Plattsburgh is in the tournament unless a major collapse occurs. JUST PER SAY..IF we lose to Oswego, but win out the remaining schedule (including a win @ Middlebury) that would put Platty at 18-3-4. And IF they don't win the SUNYAC Championship (if), we would have to rely on an at-large bid. And with Oswego and Noriwch favorites to win their respective conferences..Plattsburgh State and Elmira are among the first to get the nod for an at-large spot.
                      Plattsburgh State Cardinals
                      1992 & 2001 NCAA Division III Ice Hockey Champions
                      21 SUNYAC Championships

Comment

Originally posted by CardsFan91 View Post
                        Trust me, Plattsburgh is in the tournament unless a major collapse occurs. JUST PER SAY..IF we lose to Oswego, but win out the remaining schedule (including a win @ Middlebury) that would put Platty at 18-3-4. And IF they don't win the SUNYAC Championship (if), we would have to rely on an at-large bid. And with Oswego and Noriwch favorites to win their respective conferences..Plattsburgh State and Elmira are among the first to get the nod for an at-large spot.
                        Agreed the Pool C pecking order looks something like this right now:

1.Oswego
                        2.Norwich
                        3.Plattsburgh
                        4.SNC
                        5.Elmira
                        6.CSS
                        7.Hamline
                        8.Middlebury
                        9.Amherst
                        10.Gustavus Adolphus

This is just a rough estimate but you get the picture. Even if Oswego and Plattsburgh both lost the SUNYAC title and Norwich lost the ECAC East title, Plattsburgh would still get the third Pool C bid as it stands now. (Might be tight if they were competing against SNC)

But remember this is a worst case scenario that would have almost no chance at happening that Oswego, Wick, Plattsburgh, and SNC all lose their respective conference titles.

They are fine.

Comment

Some random thoughts after last night's frustrating tie...

Plattsburgh Scoring vs Top 15 Teams in the USCHO Poll (1/18/10)

11/07/09 vs #1 Oswego - 2 Goals - Result: Loss
                          11/27/09 vs #6 Middlebury - 3 Goals - Result: Win
                          11/28/09 at #2 Norwich - 1 Goal - Result: Tie
                          1/05/10 at #2 Norwich - 1 Goal - Result: Loss
                          1/09/10 at #4 Elmira - 1 Goal - Result: Tie
                          1/18/10 at #15 Williams - 1 Goal - Result: Tie

1-2-3 vs Top 15 Teams
                          1 Game at Home, 4 on the Road and 1 at a Neutral Site (Primelink).

Don't let the 4.56 GF fool you.

* Note in these six games against "ranked opponents" Plattsburgh has allowed a combine 13 Goals.

-We have one quality win against Middlebury at a Neutral site (3-1).

- This makes me kind of sad to say, but is Dylan Clarke only good when he is surrounded by talent? Dylan has had many a scoring chances throughout the course of the season..but he (like many other players looked upon to contribute: Farrow, Willock..etc) is not finishing.

- Same with Phil Farrow (read above)

- After last night's tie, Plattsburgh won't be able to win 20 games after regular season play.

- I am officially concerned more with us not being able to bury the biscuit as opposed to the performance of our Freshman goaltending. Like a pitcher in baseball..they are doing their job, how about some offensive support?

- Maybe someone more knowledgeable can answer this question for me. Where is Plattsburgh currently ranked in the East region? Third?

- With one hiccup (Tie or Loss) against another SUNYAC foe you can kiss the number one seed goodbye for March.

Let the discussion begin...
                          Kinda reminds of the Norwich team last year. A lot of good players but not able to score. Plattsburgh will need to relax, play their game and not look any further than the next game.
                          There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

Originally posted by Derek Dunning View Post
                            Agreed the Pool C pecking order looks something like this right now:

1.Oswego
                            2.Norwich
                            3.Plattsburgh
                            4.SNC
                            5.Elmira
                            6.CSS
                            7.Hamline
                            8.Middlebury
                            9.Amherst
                            10.Gustavus Adolphus

This is just a rough estimate but you get the picture. Even if Oswego and Plattsburgh both lost the SUNYAC title and Norwich lost the ECAC East title, Plattsburgh would still get the third Pool C bid as it stands now. (Might be tight if they were competing against SNC)

But remember this is a worst case scenario that would have almost no chance at happening that Oswego, Wick, Plattsburgh, and SNC all lose their respective conference titles.

They are fine.
                            I pretty much agree with you..just one question. Should someone other than Platty or Oswego win the SUNYAC, would/does the committee consider number of teams from one conferene? The SUNYAC would have 3 bids. Is pool C consideration made with a blinde eye to what conference in in?
                            Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                            2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Thanks guys - I think I get it now....see y'all in Oz on the 30th...
                              LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Some random thoughts ...
                                - After last night's tie, Plattsburgh won't be able to win 20 games after regular season play.
                                During the 1986-87 season, Plattsburgh lost 6 games and STILL won 34! That, however, occured at a time when the NCAA believed that hockey players were smart enough to play 40 or more games in a season and still get an education

Another tidbit, during the 1998-99 season, Plattsburgh had its best Power-Play Percentage, scoring 54 goals on 143 power plays (.378 )
                                Last edited by norm1909; 01-20-2010, 03:47 PM.
                                Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Working...
                                X