Hockey East future tournament structure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey East future tournament structure

With the addition of Notre Dame in 2013 and Connecticut in 2014 the Hockey East tournament format is likely to undergo some change or perhaps not. Many of us like the current format which leaves the bottom teams out as it makes the regular season mean more and the jockeying for position takes on added excitement as races develop for first place, home ice and final playoff spots. Could it stay as an 8 team playoff? Or a 10 team one or will everyone get a shot? With a 10 team playoff you could go to a Final 5 format which has proven successful out west. No byes would be needed in that format as only 10 are involved. Or maybe 4 teams could get byes and the other 8 play an elimination series to set up quarterfinal rounds. Let's get a discussion going on this and see what is the most desired format.

Re: Hockey East future tournament structure

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
    Or maybe 4 teams could get byes and the other 8 play an elimination series to set up quarterfinal rounds. Let's get a discussion going on this and see what is the most desired format.
    Like AHA and ECAC, right? I like this plan best, but not sure how 2013-2014 would shake out with the odd number 11 teams. I guess that the bottom three regular season teams should be out that year.

Comment

My vote would be keep it as is. Top 8 make the tournament with 3 and eventually 4 teams sitting at home.
      #NewMass

Comment

I hope they keep it as top 8 make it.

Comment

I hate every team making the playoffs like every other league, but can't imagine them keeping 33% of the league out of the playoffs so my vote would be:

1-6 makes the Quarterfinals
          7 hosts 10 and 8 hosts 9 in a one game playoff on Tuesday or Wednesday, winners play at 1 and 2 seeds in the quarterfinals

Puts a huge premium on finishing top half of the league and should make interesting final weekends with 5 potential races (RS Champion, 4th place for home ice, 6th place to avoid the 1 game play in, 8th place for home ice in the play in, and 10th place to make the play in) also avoids moving the end of the regular season forward by a week, which would constrict the schedule and make OOC games slightly more difficult to fit.

It won't happen, but I'd enjoy it if it did.

Comment

Once they have both UConn/Notre Dame in,play for the first 2 years with just the top 8 making it then after 2 years revisit the Playoff Format. But myself I hate when all the Teams make the playoffs,thats why they play the Regular Season.

Comment

As a comparison, the ECAC women do top 8 in a 12-team league. However, Hockey East women do top 6 in an 8-team league. I think it is likely to see the top 10 make it (not sure if they'd start it in 2013-14 or 2014-15) and then do a Final Five style tournament, similar to what the ECAC did in the 1990's prior to the Union rule.

Comment

Please stay with Top 8.
                Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

I favor doing away with playoffs and just extending the season and awarding the actual winner over the 25 plus conference season--I mean why should the 1st loser get a second bite at the apple? But I know that isn't happening. just guessing but I would be pretty surprised if at the end of the day they leave anyone out. Here's the model I see: Teams to be re-seeded after each of the 1st 2 rounds based on regular season finish. Round 1: 5-12,6-11, 7-10, 8-9. Reseed winners if necessary Round 2: 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5. Semi-finals: re-seed and #1-4, #2-3. Finals: 1-2. re-seeding after each round has the effect of giving more meaning to the regular season, at least a bit and avoids the situation where the rs champ has a tougher road to the finals than the 3rd palce team. It also makes it tougher for the lower regular season finishers to progress. If the 12 wins round 1, it gets reseeded as an 8 and has to play the top team in the 2nd round rather than #4. To me that is as it should be.
                  Last edited by Jim; 06-29-2012, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                    I favor doing away with playoffs and just extending the season and awarding the actual winner over the 25 plus conference season--I mean why should the 1st loser get a second bite at the apple?
                    Would you then relegate the bottom team to the ECAC and promote the top finisher there? Seems reasonable
                    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Here's one for our new tv friendly league..,

All teams in... Monday/Tuesday single game opening round 5-12 at better seed... Remaining teams at better seed Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday... Semis and finals per the usual... Maximum tv exposure
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

I hate it when leagues take everybody to the tourney. If you want to move on, play like you deserve it during the regular season - that's what it is there for. And I don't like reseeding in a tourney. If you are seeded eighth and knock of number one, you deserve the easier path at that point. The way I look at it, a winner takes the higher seed of the two teams playing.
                        bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                        SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                        All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                        A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

I favor doing away with playoffs and just extending the season and awarding the actual winner over the 25 plus conference season--I mean why should the 1st loser get a second bite at the apple?
                          You'd change your tune if you were collecting the $$ generated through the playoff system.
                          And they ain't playing for an apple... it's a trophy.

Me... stay with the top 8 and the bottom 4 hit the links early.
                          'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

This would put the entire league at a SEVERE PWR disadvantage compared to the rest of the country. Top 10 with a play-in game single elimination round for 7-10 Eight is too small, 12 is too many.
                            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

When UVM joined HEA, no changes were made to the playoff structure, but I think 12 teams will necessitate a change. Top 10 makes a lot of sense, and if it works out west, it's good enough for me. Leaving 4 teams out would jump the percentage of non-playoff teams from 1/5 to 1/3 and could hurt the playoff system IMO (i.e. fewer underdogs).
                              "Get used to this drill, we'll be doing it a lot."
                              "Why?"
                              "Because the legs feed the wolf, gentlemen..."

Comment

Working...
                              X